It’s hard to choose and settle on a topic for your education dissertation. When I was choosing my topic, I was confused and uncertain. I wished I had a list like this that would help me out!
The topics below are best for undergraduate (B.A / B.Ed) or masters (M.A / M.Ed) students. Check out these 51 topic ideas, use them, and adapt them to create a topic that suits you.
The Lazy Man’s Top 10
before I dig in…
Here is a quick list of my top 9 favorite education dissertation topic ideas:
- What skill development strategies can be observed in children’s play?
- What evidence is there for the theory of multiple intelligences?
- What are parents’ attitudes toward play-based learning in schools?
- Is there a correlation between student stress levels and standardized exams?
- What are the differences in teaching strategies between experienced and novice teachers?
- What are the greatest challenges faced by teachers in their first 3 years in the profession?
- What does the literature say about the differences between phonics and whole language learning?
- What are the factors facilitating successful inclusion of students with behavioral disabilities?
- What do teachers believe has been the effect of technology on students’ learning?
Table of Contents
Okay … and here’s the Rest!
1. Early Childhood Education Dissertation Ideas
- What are the perspectives of parents about the benefits of structured and unstructured play for children?
- What do educators identify as the key challenges of transitioning from early childhood to compulsory schooling settings?
- How do the 50 most popular children’s books of the 21st Century promote gender norms?
What do teachers in Montessori educational settings perceive to be the benefits and limitations of a Montessori-style education?
- What are parents’ initial anxieties about sending their children to preschool?
- A semiotic analysis of the representation of play in early childhood learning center promotional literature.
- How is the early childhood education and care (ECEC) profession represented in mainstream news?
- What do parent perceive to be the developmental benefits of early childhood education for their children?
2. Elementary Teaching Dissertation Ideas
- Are Piaget’s stages of development an accurate reflection of the abilities of children in the concrete stage of development?
- What are teachers’ perspectives of authoritarian behavior management strategies?
- What do teachers perceive as the most effective behavior management strategy for children aged 5 – 7?
What do parents perceive to be the benefits of no homework for children?
- What are parents’ perceptions and concerns about integration of children with autism into mainstream classrooms?
- How do changes in seating arrangements from rows to table groups impact learning in a Grade 5 classroom?
- According to educators, what are the benefits and limitations of regular play breaks for learning?
What do teachers perceive to be the benefits and limitations of the phonics versus whole language learning approaches to literacy?
- What skill development strategies can be observed in children’s play during recess breaks in schools?
- What do educators in a school that has compulsory school uniforms see as the educational benefits or drawbacks of compulsory uniforms?
- What are the barriers and opportunities for promoting a ‘sense of belonging’ in primary school classrooms?
3. Middle & High School Dissertation Ideas
- What are students’ perceptions of the impact of homework on their after school extracurricular activities?
- How are nationalist ideologies reinforced and challenged in the current curriculum documents of [your jurisdiction]?
- What are students’ perceptions of how well school prepares them for university / trades / real life?
What are students’ / teachers’/ parents’ perceptions of standardized tests in high school?
- What do high school teachers in leadership positions perceive to be the best approaches to mentoring early career teachers?
- Which models of childhood citizenship are evident in [your jurisdiction’s] curriculum?
- What do parents perceive to be the traits of quality teachers in primary school vs. high school?
What do adolescents see as the qualities of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ teachers?
- What do educators see as their role versus parents’ roles in promoting the moral values of children?
- What do parents of immigrant children see as the challenges their children face in schools in their new nation?
4. Educational Technology Ideas
- How prepared do pre-service teachers feel about teaching using Electronic White Boards?
- What are parents’ perceptions of classroom mobile phone apps that are designed to increase parent-student interactions?
- What are teachers’ perspectives of the impact of technology on student learning?
Can gaming help promote creative writing skills among boys aged 10-12?
- What age do parents perceive to be the best age for introducing children to technology?
- What are the differences between boys’ and girls’ technology usage habits during free time at school?
- What social, pedagogical and cognitive benefits and limitations do students face when learning online?
5. General Education and Teaching Dissertation Ideas
- What do experienced educators perceive is the value of their university education?
- What are teachers’ perceptions of the barriers and opportunities to learning for children in poverty?
- What challenges do male educators face in their first 5 years of teaching?
What are the main ways school leaders approach whole-school policy development?
- How do teachers differentiate their behavior management strategies for children with developmental delays?
- What do teachers believe to be effective netiquette rules for online learning?
- What are the factors that impact teachers’ motivations for promotion into leadership positions in schools?
- What do teachers perceive to be the role of reflection in their practice, and what are the most common reflective practice strategies among practitioners?
What evidence is there for the theory of multiple intelligences?
- How do Introverted and Extroverted Students Learn Differently?
- What do parents perceive to be the purpose of schooling?
- What differences are there in behavior management strategies for experienced versus novice teachers?
- What do teachers believe are the benefits and challenges of intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation strategies?
6. Ideas that Involve Interviewing your Classmates!
- What do pre-service teachers see as their biggest worries about entering the teaching profession?
- How prepared do pre-service teachers feel about walking into a classroom and beginning their craft?
What do pre-service teachers perceive to be the major factors that their degree does not prepare them for, before entering the workforce?
- What do a cohort of teacher education students see as the benefits of conducting a final dissertation project prior to entering the profession?
- What are the differences between freshman (first year) and senior (final year) students’ perspectives of the role of the classroom teacher in the 21st Century?
What to do once you Choose your Topic
Hopefully by now you have highlighted or written down 3 topics that caught your eye.
I recommend for your next step that you organize a meeting with your dissertation supervisor. Your supervisor will talk with you about your three ideas and give you advice on which to choose and why.
Each university has different requirements, so you’ll need to get input from your supervisor. Your supervisor is the person who can help you to navigate the special requirements of your particular program of study.
You’ll find that you and your supervisor will be able to tailor your chosen topic to you and your needs.
Good luck, and please do leave a comment below if you found this post useful!
I’m also always looking for more ideas to add to this list so if you came up with another idea, share it below.